|Let’s be responsible fishers and consumers.
Here are some of the fisheries regulations that are in place to protect this iconic species:
- Grouper and rockfish must weigh at least 3 lbs (approximately 17 inches in length) before being harvested.
- The use of SCUBA gear is prohibited while spearfishing.
- The use of fish traps without a self-destruct panel or less than minimum mesh size is prohibited.
- Spearfishing within one mile of New Providence or the southern coast of Grand Bahama and 200 yards of a family island is prohibited.
- Respect the boundaries of marine protected areas that serve as replenishment zones.
The annual Nassau grouper closed season was made into law in 2015, but enforcement remains a challenge.
Click here to read more about a loophole that needs to be addressed.
There should be no sale of Nassau grouper during the closed season.
Help ensure that we have Fish for the Future!
Click the link below for a BREEF Look at why protecting the spawning aggregations is so important.